We've been taking care of a friend's dog while she is out of town. Every morning and evening, we walk to this friend's house to feed, water and play with the dog for a few minutes. Alice has walked with me every time so far. Robert only comes in the morning. Walking home this evening, pondering, I realized that 3 lessons that have already sprung from this service:
1. I'm not a pet person. Don't need 'em, don't want 'em. Pets are cute to play with every once in a while, and I'm glad other people love their pets. I just have too many other lives to nurture, feed, and clean up after right now.
2. Time alone with one child is sweet. Robert or Alice, I love one-on-one time with either. Alone time with Alice is more engaging, and I enjoy it longer, but a little one-on-one with the man does me good.
3. I need to get outside more with Alice. Every single trip, she finds several new things to look at, ask about, and collect. Just this morning, we happened upon a cicada breaking out of its larval shell. Then this evening, we found two dead cicadas on the sidewalk. She asks about trees, rocks, and the weather. She points out house numbers that she can "read" to me. She literally makes the same little walk a new adventure every time. I'm starting to look forward to them, wondering if she'll ever repeat something. I'm surprised by what she notices and what she thinks about.
Just a few more days of this ritual. Alice's little collection pile by the garage grows daily: crab apples, pebbles, sticks, interesting leaves, tree seeds, more rocks...
Thursday, July 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment