BoGah’s room is almost complete. He has a bed, a dresser
with clothes, and a changing table. I’ll throw a comfy chair in there soon for
all those nighttime feedings. I’m looking for one last thing to finish the job,
though: a mantra.
I need a short phrase or quote to pull me through the
darkest post-partum times. You know, on those days when it takes every last
ounce of humanity to get out of bed and nurse the baby one…more…time. Times when
the older kids are clamoring for attention and the baby just won’t let me put
him down, or sit, or stop bouncing for two minutes. Days like that, I want to
be able to look at BoGah’s wall and read a short quote, a few words from a
song, or something else that 1) acknowledges how hard and lonely that moment can be
and yet 2) reminds me that things do get better. Preferably something that doesn’t
throw responsibility or guilt at me (i.e. "Child of God" and "Love at
Home"…those phrases/thoughts aren’t uplifting and helpful until I regain my
sanity at about 6 months of age).
So! Please send me your ideas. What are some of the
inspiring ideas you’ve found lately?
"Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming." or if you want to compare this to a test of endurance you could play Chariots of Fire, We Are the Champions, the Rocky Theme--Gonna Fly now, or We Will Rock You. Mike's adding more suggestions like Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head.
ReplyDeleteHave you ever hiked Timp? I like to compare my struggles to the first time I hiked it with my brother and his friend. I thought I was never going to make it, but I did!
From the author Donna Ball:
“Motherhood is a choice you make everyday, to put someone else's happiness and well-being ahead of your own, to teach the hard lessons, to do the right thing even when you're not sure what the right thing is...and to forgive yourself, over and over again, for doing everything wrong.”
― Donna Ball, At Home on Ladybug Farm
“Mothers have to pretend to be perfect[.] If we didn't, anarchy would rule the world. But most of the time we're just doing the best we can and trying to get better at it everyday”
― Donna Ball, At Home on Ladybug Farm
I saw these quotes somewhere and then decided I should read the books that went with them. They were okay, not wonderful literature, but good enough that I didn't quit reading them.
“The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache.”
ReplyDelete― Marjorie Pay Hinckley
Love this quote--- I actually thought of it yesterday as I changed a blow out diaper.... I couldn't stop laughing. It was much better than crying! Here's hoping that the post-partum is not too bad and that it goes quickly for ya!
I like the laughing theme too. I remember a day when absolutely everything went wrong from start to finish and at the end looking back on it I finally just had to laugh and it made it all better.
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to feel prepared and looking forward to finally meeting and getting to know that little guy.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/98379559/psalm-914?ref=v1_other_1
ReplyDeleteI put this on a chalkboard by my computer and manta it probably fifty times a day :)
I've been thinking and thinking. I feel like quotes are things I stumble upon, love, put in a box where I'm sure I won't forget, and then can't find again. So I'll just have to go with recently and maybe one will hit the spot.
ReplyDeleteI didn't used to like the "Keep Calm and Carry On," I thought it was definitely overdone. I still do think that people are ridiculous especially in how they cheapen it, but the story behind it has made me like the phrase. See what you think after watching the clip about the WWII poster: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrHkKXFRbCI . If you like it, you can find tons of free knock off printables online.
I like this one and I think it fits your qualifications: "Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations, I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead." I think you could cut this off at different points like after beauty or believe in them and the message is still good but briefer.
I'll let you know if I come up with anything else. And I hope you'll let me know what you pick! There are so many good options.
Everything I come up with is too dark or too silly. My favorite so far is a quote from Homer: [stirring a bowl] "Aw, Marge, this is so depressing, my only hope is this homemade Prozac. [tastes it] Mmm, needs more ice cream."
ReplyDeleteLOL! Good ol' Homer Simpson. I've had several good ideas/quotes from comments on this post and in personal emails. I think I'll put a few of them up in BoGah's room and see how they fit post-partum. Most of the time, I just want empathy. I want someone to acknowledge how crappy hard this can be. Once my feelings are validated, I usually do a pretty good job of working myself out of a pit.
ReplyDeleteThere are some good quotes mentioned above. I have been listening to Keane's new album "Strangeland" for the past couple of months, and it is rapidly become one of my all-time favorites. It just fits my life right now, and there are some beautiful lyrics. My favorite song on the album is called "The Starting Line," and I love this quote from it:
ReplyDelete"Girl I still believe in you
You're too good to fall so low
We're going to find a better life I know
Things will be clearer
And soon as we make a start
We'll be that much nearer
We're too old to just stand here
Waiting to break apart"
Not necessarily appropriate for a nursery, per se, but this song is amazing (and validating for how hard life can be). I hope you'll listen to it.
http://youtu.be/BJ5BnhgXT2c
So, if I were looking for something like this, I would re-read the picture book Cinnamon Baby and find something in there. :)
ReplyDelete