BoGah and other life-altering "unpredictables" permitting, these are the major yard/garden projects I have slated for next year (refer to the pale boxes in the above diagram). Wahoo! You'll have to click on the picture to get a better look, but here's a summary from top to bottom:
1) New raspberry and blackberry trellis along the north sideyard. We'll (i.e. paid professionals) have to take out those two trees on the left side first. We'll be planting everbearing varieties of berries, of course, since our family overwhelmingly prefers those fruits fresh and continuously :) Frozen and jam forms are tolerable, I suppose, if we grow more than we can consume or give away...um, yeah.
2) Rock "garden." It's an area riddled with utility boxes and underground lines. Useless for planting anything in the soil. I'm thinking we might park kid toys here, or perhaps an above-ground cold frame for season extension, or a work bench for farm/garden tasks. We have an enormous pile of gravel and river rocks we've gathered from other portions of the yard, so this seems like a nice place to deposit them. This is also where the rain barrels are situated.
3) Grape trellis over the patio. Provides shade and delicious fruit. There's enough surface area to support 5 healthy vines at first. Maybe up to 7, if I learn to love pruning. I'd like to have table grapes as well as juice, but 5 vines just doesn't seem like enough to satisfy both desires. I'm pretty much insatiable when it comes to garden dreaming.
4) Shady edibles garden. Lettuce, spinach, cilantro, asparagus...plants that tolerate/prefer less sun. This is also where Alice's garden is right now. She's planted shade-tolerant edible flowers and hostas.
And it looks like the front yard will go completely neglected yet again. So sorry, front yard neighbors. I just can't muster enthusiasm for shady, shadier, and super-shady horticulture. Nothing delicious grows from it! Nothing stunning blooms in it! It's a veritable sea of subtle shades of green, punctuated with bitty specks of white and yellow. Blah. Unfulfilling. Ask me to try caring again in 2014.
Saturday, August 4, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment