Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Midwife visit 40-ish weeks

I met with Kathy Easter today. She's one of my favorite midwives at Carle. She didn't find much significant progress towards labor during the physical exam, but she's less picky than Ray, who I saw last week, and she said it was all she could do to keep from secretly stripping my membranes during the exam. Membrane stripping is a little trick that can start labor in many women within 12-36 hours. As much as I want this baby to come soon, today seemed TOO soon. Yes, I'm crazy.

The boy is still growing. Kathy says she makes it a matter of principle never to tell an expectant mom anything more than "high eights", but nine pounds wouldn't be out of the question for this fellow this week. His heart rate is great and he's still moving around a lot. I chatted with her for a long time about the induction scenario and all of my concerns. I say that I want an induction, and that it makes sense in many ways, but I just can't bring myself to officially say "yes" to a medically unnecessary procedure with so many potential risks. I just don't feel completely right about it. I am feeling, however, a lot of pressure to choose the induction route. Mostly from myself and the planner in me. But the closer we get to my "real" due date, the less and less it matters to me when the baby actually comes. He will come. He will come soon. No matter when he arrives, he will probably be here sooner and later than I'm ready for him. Whether it's in one day or three days or five, does it really matter? Because it's not gonna be much longer than that, no matter what.

Sooooooo, here's my new plan. According to the due date they assigned me, this Friday (Oct 5th) will be 41 weeks. That's when they would normally schedule a non-stress test and an ultrasound to check for fluid levels around the baby. That's also the day my mom arrives (huzzah!), we start a 3-day weekend from school (Columbus Day), and conference weekend begins (no extra Sunday meetings for Bobby to attend or conduct). If the baby doesn't come before Friday, we'll run through the prescribed tests to check for any medical reasons to schedule an induction. If all looks good, no medical concerns, we'll strip my membranes and see if the baby comes on his own over the weekend when my mom can seamlessly take the kids and we don't have a million places to be and specific times to be there. It's unexpectedly ideal.

If stripping doesn't help, we'll move to the next phase next week.

And I hope to be over this chest cold by Friday so I'm in better shape to take care of baby Bogah Behemoth when he does actually arrive ;)

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I check your blog this often. And Friday is the 5th. I know because it it Sam's BDay. Now wouldn't THAT be fun??! I know what I am hoping for...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the date correction! It took me a couple months to remember Robert's birthday without some heavy-duty thinking. I'd hate to get off on the wrong foot BEFORE this kid is born ;)

    And I would be honored to share a laboring day with you. Alice just reminded me today that Sam is still her most silly and fun cousin.

    ReplyDelete