I've also decided that it's not helpful to argue with him anymore. I don't remember Alice and Robert arguing with me much when they were two. I set a limit and they followed it or crossed it and faced the consequence. They didn't stand there and yell "no!" over and over again. So I got sucked in with James:
"Not in your mouth, James."
"Yes mouth!"
"No."
"Yes!"
"That would be a sad choice."
"No sad choice!"
etc.
With each protest, he gets more and more agitated until something happens...often a hit or kick or bite. See a pattern here? Yeah, I finally got it, too.
No more arguing.
"Not in your mouth, James."
"Yes mouth!"
***end of conversation***
If he actually crosses the limit, then he receives the consequence. I don't have to argue with a 2-year-old to set enforceable limits and follow through. Saves a lot of my energy. Thank you, Love and Logic.
Meanwhile, Matthew is making excellent progress on his cheeks and double chin.
| He only smiles as he's falling asleep. |
Alice has finished another short round of Indian Dance. I am always surprised at her gracefulness. I never felt graceful. I didn't think anything graceful could ever come from me. But there she is. It must come from Bobby's side of the family.
Robert has surprised me quite a bit lately, too. He thinks about things and how they work. He's making progress with phonics and has proudly read his first short reader to us. This morning, he figured out how to spell clock: "K-L-O-K". And the other day, he explained to me the difference between a lie and a trick. Apparently, it depends on how long you allow the person to believe the untruth...which is pretty much spot-on.
No comments:
Post a Comment