A couple things happened this week that I would like to think about more...when I have more time and energy to ponder, of course.
---I had an appointment with a professional that I hadn't met before. While in the waiting room, right on top of the magazine selection, was a glossy little booklet from the Jehovah's Witness faith. Suddenly, I thought that this professional might be a member of that faith and I instantly had second thoughts about working with them. And then I was horrified that I had that thought. I had no idea that I carried that strong of a prejudice. I'd like to investigate these feelings and figure out how to change them.
---There was a comment in church to the effect that so many people make the Christmas season a time to be extra caring, extra thoughtful, more generous, and Christlike. She wished that people would carry those changes into the whole year. I realized that the only thing different I do at Christmastime is buy a few presents for my kids and attend/create more parties. That stung a little. Gotta figure out how to change that.
Now back to life at hand.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love the new family picture on your header!
ReplyDeleteAs for the second experience, I hear those kinds of comments about Christmastime too and wonder if I am missing out. Even on years where I scale back expectations, I may not be stressed, but I don't feel like I am acting extra special. I sometimes wonder if we do perhaps carry those changes all year with us and then maybe December still feels normal to us? As a mother you are extra caring, extra thoughtful, and generous and Christlike. If you do visiting teaching all year, December may not feel different because you are visiting the same people, compared to a visiting teacher who struggles most of the year and then feels extra special because she made a visit in December. I know there is always more that we can do. None of us is perfect, but give yourself some credit. Recognize what you do do and what the Savior helps you already do. Perhaps it isn't in the doing, but in the recognizing that we can make our season different.
Check out Sister Esplin's talk from Oct 2014 conference. I think our feelings about the Sacrament can be similar to the feelings of how we think we should feel at Christmas.