Oh, croup. You sadden me. It breaks my heart to hear baby Matthew wheeze and bark through this cold. You make me think my child is on the brink of suffocating to death. Every time. And we've played this game HOW many times with Alice already?
Oh, croup. Alice has just barely outgrown you. You completely skipped over Robert and James. I thought we had come to some sort of understanding. You, me, a kid in the Emergency Room...we were past all this!
Oh, croup. You don't kill kids like you used to (thank heavens for diptheria and measles vaccinations!), but I never can fully relax knowing you're lurking somewhere nearby. You surprised me again this weekend despite my age and experience. That's a nasty thing to do. No fun. Fortunately for me and Matthew, he doesn't seem terrifically bothered by you. Sure, he labors to breathe, but he sleeps soundly, eats regularly, and he still has smiles and coos for me. This won't be nearly as easy in a year or so when he's crying and screaming for air in the middle of the night, terrified that he can't breathe...as terrified as I will be for him.
I hate you, croup.
Monday, February 2, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't think there is anything scarier than a little little one with chest congestion. Ellie got croup last year and we ended up in the ER in the middle of the night. We are going on quarantine soon, just so everyone can be healthy when little man gets here. I hate sick littles. I hope he gets better soon and you both get the sleep and comfort you need!
ReplyDeleteCroup is no fun. The doctor reassured me that it's a swelling of the vocal cords, not chest congestion, but it still sounds so awful and deadly.
ReplyDelete