In the last week, James has asked some pretty intense questions about life and the natural world: human reproduction, microscopic biomes, viral infection, and the ethics of eating animals. He's just as likely to ask how something works as he is to ask how you learned that. The last time we went to the library, he filled his own bag with books (First time ever! This kid has not enjoyed the library much in the past) and most of them were enormous, picture-filled nonfiction books about how things work, sunken ships, and the mythology of fairy tale creatures. I should have taken a picture of his selection. I never, never, never would have selected those books for him.
He asked for a chemistry set for Christmas so he could, "make my own mixtures and see what happens" (cue mischievous smile and twinkle in his eye). And that is exactly what he has done with it.
Saturday, as we got out of the car, James proudly proclaimed, "I was pretty much born to do science, draw, write, and read. But mostly do science."
Monday, December 30, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow! An awesome realization! Even if he changes it later, he knows his direction right now! And can still explore other areas. What a kid! It will be really fun to watch him grow.
ReplyDeleteDK Eyewitness books are some of our favorites. Great pictures and good information. My James loves to quiz me on the content, because he actually reads all of the words. I love libraries!
ReplyDelete