I love seeing Alice with her peers. These girls are loud and confident and so supportive of each other, despite all of their differences. And they are all very different.
I got to see a couple modern-day Greek tragedies, written by the girls. Complete with chorus. Here is Alice in Fiona's Tragic Airplane Ride (her drama teacher is filling in for one student who couldn't be there tonight).
The 6th graders showed us a fantastic drama exercise called ad lib mannequins...or something like that...the drama teacher called out a theme like "A day at the dog park" or "Snowball fight" and one by one, the girls would go on stage, strike a pose, and stay there. Each actor building on what the previous actor had done. In the end, their poses created a full scene, often hilarious. The drama teacher asked for a theme from the audience and settled on "Riding reindeer". This is a game I totally want to play with family and/or friends.
Then we heard recordings of new commercials and public service announcements the 8th graders invented.
6th graders sang and acted out a group-written parody of Johnny Cash's Ghost Riders in the Sky called Ghost Chickens in the Sky--so clever, so well-written, and absolutely hilarious. I did not know children this age were capable of this! [12/12/19 CORRECTION: Alice told me this morning that the 6th graders actually found this brilliant parody online, memorized it, and created only the dance portion of the performance. *SIGH* I guess they're regular 6th graders after all ;) and my expectations are back to normal.]
Then there were choral numbers by each grade, some with live accompaniment by other students. They made mistakes. They weren't always in tune. Or on rhythm. It was still a middle school band concert. And yet, the energy was palpable.
I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Alice coming to this school was the right decision. I am astonished at the difference a small, supportive, cohesive, and inclusive environment makes. I wish I could guarantee this for every child! These girls are free to spend their energy inventing, taking risks, and getting comfortable in their own skin. *sigh*
It didn't hurt, either, that several of the girls reminded me of good friends who have moved on from here. I love my friends. I miss them. I just wanted to give those girls hugs! But, of course, I didn't.I came home and blogged about it instead ;)


Soooo happy for Alice and for your family to get this great girl in a place where she can truly blossom!!
ReplyDelete