Thursday, March 26, 2020

Garden Remodel

My work at Sola Gratia Farm has been pretty darn educational. As well as emotionally and personally and socially satisfying. I've learned how to manage some of the diseases and insect pests that terrified me before, and I'm a little more flexible when things don't (ever ever ever) go as planned. Sooooooo, I've redesigned the garden on paper and hope to get it functional for growing this season.

Here's what it's looked like for the last several years:

370sqft of raised growing beds, a short row of blueberries, and then the orchard.

And here's what I'm thinking to do now:

Yes, the two pictures are on the same scale. No more orchard, two long rows of blueberries, a dedicated compost bin, and about 600sqft of growing beds. The fence along the perimeter will keep out bunnies and chickens.

The new plan doesn't include raised beds right now. That's too much time and money for me this late in the spring. I'll use mounded rows, like they do at the farm, and mulch the pathways in between. All the old hardware has been taken out (thanks Robert, Alice, and James!!). Now to rent a heavy duty tiller...

...I think I'm becoming my mom more and more every year ;)

2 comments:

  1. Loved your posts. Thanks so much for keeping us updated on your family!
    As to becoming more like your mom, I relate to the heavy duty tiller, but you are far and away more organized and efficient than I ever have been. I admire that in you!

    ReplyDelete