I've noticed a marked change in the family's overall happiness since I adjusted my priorities. I'm happier, too. The kids are still siblings *sigh* but there are more moments laughing together than running away from each other. The school routine is easier. There are more moments when I have the time, energy, and desire to play on the floor with them. To snuggle them. To offer compassionate empathy. To be patient and listen.
I taught them how to play steamroller. I can't believe James and Matthew had never heard of the game!!
We've reincorporated a regular family prayer in the morning. That's been good for us.
I've cut down significantly on my time playing Sims. I was using it as a pointless escape...a pause button on my frustration between the two lives I was trying to live...siiiiiiiigh. I still play it, but not to run away.
The kids are growing, little by little. And small changes add up:
As long as the boys are playing well and Bobby is working in his office, I can pop out for a quick walk or errand and not worry too much. I remember my friend doing this with her 6th grade triplets and it blew my mind. Alice was only in 5th grade and Matthew was still 3 years old at the time.
Robert and James have recently expanded their palates to include more mixed foods. James actually ate and enjoyed an American-style taco on a corn tortilla: beef, queso fresco, lettuce and tomato. It was like...like...mind blowing. Robert ate a quesadilla with meat on it. Baby steps, man, but what a relief. It's so much easier to eat together (and eat out) when the kids can be flexible with food choices. Whew.
Alice and Robert are pretty self-sufficient when it comes to getting their lunch. They ask for ideas/options, of course, but then they do their own meal prep to make it happen. Robert just discovered the beauty of a tortilla rolled up with cheese and shredded chicken and toasted in the toaster oven. Score!
Virtual school has become routine now, which makes the day run much more smoothly. James' new teacher is everything I could want. What a world of difference!
And I cannot overstate the importance of having Erin integrated into our lives. She quietly and consistently makes our lives so much richer. One of Erin's roles that I've come to appreciate more is her relationship with Alice. Erin is Alice's close friend and confidant, a mentor and role model. I am infinitely grateful for their close relationship. Alice has been going over to Erin's house once a week or so and cooking with her. She gets the one-on-one attention she craves, just being her crazy middle-school self, doing something she loves, with someone she loves. Bliss.
Erin has also enabled me to work on some of my own dreams. I got a little choked up the other day just thinking about it.
All in all, things are good right now. I'll enjoy it while it lasts :)
SOOOO happy for you!
ReplyDelete