Thursday, October 22, 2020

Opossum

Robert went out to take care of the chickens today and discovered an opossum curled up in the coop. He tells me he didn't know which possibility was scarier: 1) a dead opossum or 2) a sleeping opossum. By the time he got me and the whole crew out there cautiously peering into the chicken enclosure, it was obvious this was a live opossum. And he didn't want to move:

 

James wanted to hold it.

I said something about Rabies shots.

Matthew immediately bolted back into the house.

James took a step back, then started plotting how to handle the creature without getting bitten.

Robert was anxious to keep all people and chickens away from it. No matter what.

I let the chickens out. Opossums usually attack chickens. This one wasn't acting normal.

There I was, trying to keep chickens out of their home long enough to let the opossum leave on his own.

It was clearly a he.

James hovered. 

Robert worried.

Matthew yelled questions at me from the safety of the back door.

Alice and Bobby blissfully unaware in their work spaces. 

The opossum wouldn't move. If anything, he just rolled over and tried to go back to sleep.

Not cool, man.

I got a long stick. Prodded him. He hissed a little, but barely moved. Was he sick?

James asked about wild animal hospitals that would take in a sick opossum.

I yelled and clapped. I banged on the coop. The opossum just blinked at me.  

Bobby came out to see what he could do while I took the younger boys to Erin's house.

More yelling, banging, prodding...no progress.

Then we got a broom. 

Man alive, that creature did NOT like the look of the broom! We broomed him all around the enclosure trying to guide him to the door. He never once attacked the broom or bit anything. He was not the greasy, aggressive, hideous opossum I expected. He seemed younger, less experienced, and just plain scared. I actually started to pity the fellow. Thankfully, I thrust him out the door before his passive charm could take hold. He scuttled into the bushes. Whew!

Robert says the door to the chicken enclosure was shut, but not locked. I wonder when that opossum slipped in. Maybe early this morning.


1 comment:

  1. Persistent visitor! Glad he finally chose to take off. Loved each of the kids' reactions! Our experience with opossums has been that they play dead till they think you are gone and then they can leave.

    ReplyDelete