Saturday, February 9, 2008

Amish Eggs

I have been inspired by some of my recent readings (see blog roll to the right) to try some fresh, local, farm-raised eggs. Heck, I've even tinkered with the idea of keeping a couple chickens on our property (more on that to come). I had the car yesterday and Alice was in a good mood so I decided we could visit our local food co-op. This is the only place in town to buy local eggs in the winter, short of driving out to the farms themselves. So! There they were! I filled up my egg container with twelve beautiful, non-uniform, light brown eggs. Some even had a little dirt still attached. Yes, it was dirt. They came from Amish farms just south of here. When I told Bobby about my little purchase, this is how it went:

"How much did they cost?"

"Just $2." (Bobby seemed instantly relieved to hear this)

"Wow. That's not bad considering the markup for people who aren't members of the co-op."

"Oh, I joined the co-op, too."

"mmgmg. How much did that cost?"

"Well, for a family membership it's $50. But that's a one-time fee and it's fully refundable when we leave the co-op, so it doesn't really cost anything."

"You paid $52 for a dozen eggs?!?!"

"Amish eggs."

3 comments:

  1. Were they good eggs?

    My aunt raises chickens. As a kid, I always mistrusted those brown, dark golden yolks. But I can't recall if the scrambled eggs tasted any differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story! I've had similar conversations with James.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the Amish eggs actually tasted more chickeny than commercial eggs. A couple of them had been fertilized (yikes!) but not too far along yet (whew!). Bobby says he can't taste a difference when we eat them scrambled. That's good.

    I like them for more reasons than taste. I might actually love them. I love how real they are...irregular in shape, size, and color. The shell is thick and smooth. They are REAL eggs. Produced by happy chickens. We don't use that many eggs, so if we switched to Amish eggs 100% of the time, we'd only spend $20/year more. That sounds worth it to me.

    ReplyDelete