Friday, May 9, 2008

Baby Peter Rabbit

There's a timid little gourmand nibbling up all my gardening efforts this year.

(Photo courtesy of Google Image search)

He/She is quite cute, and still very young, so I can't seem to get myself mad about it. Something must be done, though, if I want to grow anything edible this year. Especially since I just learned that the darling lives under our tool shed out back. Perhaps he/she is not alone?

A friend has been kind enough to give me some chicken wire. I will have to surround the garden beds and anchor the fencing to the ground in multiple places. I hope this works. I'm not keen on lethal defense, especially since some other rabbit family is likely to move in as soon as there's a vacancy:

"NEW LISTING: Warm, sheltered outbuilding for the growing family. Private fenced yard is protected on every side by large dogs (2 pitbulls, 1 bull dog, and 1 cockerspanial) to ensure your privacy. Rustic outdoorsy feel, plenty of shaded hideaways, and an exclusive restaurant across the way. Kids eat free!"

2 comments:

  1. James suggests you get a badger to keep the rabbit out. Or a dog, or Wallace and Grommit. Or if all else fails, remember that rabbits are edible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a mouse in my house, and I felt really bad when I set the trap this weekend. He's so little and cute, but I don't like seeing him zip around my entertainment center and think of him crawling around at night when I'm sleeping.

    I wish I could build a mouse fence!

    ReplyDelete