We're trying something new this year. I finally found the courage to purchase a share in a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farm. That means I pay the local farmer up front for the vegetables and fruit he will grow for me throughout the season. The best part is, though, that I won't have to do it alone. I managed to convince a few friends to do it with me. Yay!
You might be wondering, "Hey! What about your own garden? Isn't that enough?" Sort of. In my own garden, I'm growing the things I know we eat a lot of and can preserve for later (peas, snap peas, chard, broccoli, canning tomatoes, beans, beets, onions, maybe carrots, maybe brussels sprouts). This CSA share will round out my garden produce with salad mix, rhubarb, more beets, peppers, heirloom and cherry tomatoes for fresh eating, collard greens, onions, berries (straw, goose, rasp, currants and sour cherry), apples, pears, cukes, summer squash, garlic, cabbage, pak choi, kale, potatoes, radishes, basil, and a few things I've only ever dreamed of tasting fresh...purslane, dill, and garlic chives.
We'll only get a little bit of a few of these things at any one time, so it shouldn't be too overwhelming for us. I'll take a picture of our share every week (first pickup is May 27th!) and let you know how it goes. Yay!
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds great, I'd have gone in with you if we were still there. I really like the principle of CSA. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteWe missed the deadline for our CSA, so we'll be relying on the farmers' market. I wonder what Atty will think of it all.
ReplyDeleteOh, and purslane is kind of funky. You'll recognize it as a weed, but apparently it has all sorts of nutritive properties. I've only eaten it raw. I wonder if it's any good cooked?