Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Bug Hater?

I love bug paraphernalia. It's cool. I love bug prints on fabric, bug art, rubber bugs, bug stickers, movies about bugs, so on and so forth. The bugs themselves are cool (dragonflies, house flies, beetles, and praying mantises are especially cool) but the IMAGE of bugs is even more appealing to me.

Spiders are NOT cool. Ever.

I simply assumed that my love for all things buggy would rub off on the babe. Nope. She screams at flies and gnats and mosquitoes and ants and ladybugs. She tries to kill them all, or re-kill them. She used my shoe to put a sickly earwig out of his misery this morning.

I found Alice the other day shrieking in the garage, pointing and dancing at a smooshed cricket. Her signs and cries of "buh, buh" somehow made me think she was sad it was dead. Silly me, I quickly pointed out another cricket that was very much alive. Alice lost it! She ran away screaming and crying, then came back trying to STOMP on it. I told her not to kill an innocent bug and that I would take it outside.

I scooped the cricket into a cup and took it around the back of the house to let it go. When I got back, I found Alice with my rolling pin attempting to roll over the first cricket's carcass.

Oh, little girl, will I ever explain to you that your room is actually decorated in dragonflies, not "flowers" as you have so innocently assumed?

1 comment:

  1. I seem to recall that you weren't too fond of bugs at one time, either. I have vivid memories of you shrieking and bursting into tears when Mom showed you a bucket that had a bunch of dead roaches in it. And there was no way you and Heather were going to sleep until I got a MOTH out of your room. When I informed you that it would just hang out in the lampshade all night, you again freaked out. So maybe bug love is something that grows. Start with sowbugs that do cool things like curl up when you touch them. Or pretty ladybugs. Crickets are ugly and can jump on you. Give the girl time... :)

    ReplyDelete