Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Opera!

I am *this* close to making a spangly paper chain counting down the days to November 22nd!

My friend Julia invited me to see Madame Butterfly with her next month! I have been inwardly giddy with anticipation ever since! May I take a blog entry to express to you how MUCH I love a good, tragic opera? Ahhhhhh, so dramatic! My first live opera was La Boheme, thanks to my sister Heidi asking if her little sister could tag along with her high school class. When those trumpets sounded the tragic discovery of Mimi's death, my heart broke into a million pieces. I had NO IDEA music could pierce a person like that. I've been hooked ever since.

Heidi and I later purchased season passes to the opera series held at the Capitol Theater in Salt Lake City, Utah. What a treat! I soon learned that not all opera is equally good and that I REALLY like the romantic tragedies best. My ultimate favorites being La Traviata and Madame Butterfly.

I actually have a cassette tape of "Highlights from La Traviata" that I've blasted during late nights at the lab and while painting the nursery in anticipation of Alice's arrival. In utero, Alice heard me narrate the subtle intrigue, the blossoming romance, and the bitter deception that culminates in the most striking finale I've ever witnessed on the stage.

*sigh*

I should listen to that again today.

Julia introduced me to the Merry Widow, which is the only operatic comedy I've attached myself to so far. Thanks, Julia. I'm sure there are more out there I will come to appreciate in time :)

On a semi-related side note:

I remember my freshman honors English teacher in high school taking our class to an opera once. She told us quite solemnly that "It's important to appreciate the arts young, for YOU will grow up to be the people attending these events regularly." At the time, I thought she meant we "honor students" would grow up to be the affluent upper-crust of our society, mingling at tea parties and schmoozing with political and economic big wigs at these artsy functions. That's not what she meant at all, of course, but I didn't consciously realize that until...uh...well...this second. Hm.

Now what would a Madame Butterfly paper chain look like?!

3 comments:

  1. Wow--I had no idea you were into operas. Your blog was very convincing... maybe I'll try one out for myself sometime. Do you think Alice has inherited your taste for the opera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I learn new things about you every day. Maybe one of these days, if something like that comes to town (or somewhere nearby) we can do an extra special Girl's Night Out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Susan! This blog entry reminded me of those opera dress rehearsals we used to go to at the san diego opera house! I have only attended one opera since and it was in Russian with no translation so I didn't love it... but I think I would enjoy seeing some of the classics! I loved looking at the pictures of Alice, she is soo cute and my mom and I both see a lot of Poulson!! My little boy is a blondie too, people always ask where he gets it from but unlike you I don't think I have ever been blonde. I still remember you in sunbeams in the 2nd street church building with your wild hair all over the place!! Hope life is good in IL and I would love to come and see you some time!!! Much love, liz riley covington

    ReplyDelete