Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Home decor help

Soooooo, we have some termite damage on two of our kitchen walls. The termite problem has been dealt with thoroughly, but the damage remains. My parents are coming out here in October to help assess the damage and help us rebuild as necessary. Most of our time will be spent putting up drywall, I suspect, but it occurred to me today that this might be a FORCED (and timely) opportunity to redecorate the kitchen.

I am paralyzed with fear, yet eager to finally displace those orange-peach walls and ceiling.

Any tips on where to start looking for ideas?

We have oak-colored cabinets, black granite-patterned counter tops, a snazzy little tile highlight (tan, brown, white) above the sink, and appliances in both white and black finishes...all of these kitchen features are slated to stay just the way they are until we move out whenever.

If color wheels and coordinating window treatments prove too much for me, I can always turn to white...nice, safe, neutral, boring, stress-free white. I'd like to give the designer bit a try first, though.

4 comments:

  1. I am useless at home decorating, at least when it comes to coming up with my own ideas. But I love looking through magazines to get ideas of things I could maybe copy someday. That's where I'd start. If the space is small, stick to a lighter color, unless you just do a fun accent wall. That's all I've got. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah just the mention of color wheels, back splashes and accent walls makes me shake w/fear! But.. I'm sure you can come up with something..you are so capable Just think of it like a delicious fresh meal... what colors make you happy and look good together and go from there! Ha ha.. I'm thinking of egg plants and tomatoes but I love bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much help with thinking of ideas, but if you need any help painting or whatever, I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely paint the ceiling white. Your kitchen doesn't have a lot of natural light, and none of your work surfaces face the window, so you might do well to maximize the light in the room. I would go with a bright, light color on the walls. There will be no better time to paint. I would also go with a semi- to high- gloss paint so you get some light reflection. Also, I don't know how much effort you want to put into this project, but painting your cabinets glossy white will really brighten the kitchen unlike any other change you make. I have an aversion to covering up good-looking natural wood with paint, but in the kitchen I have been amazed at the positive difference it makes. (try to imagine my kitchen with the original stained wood cabinets). I am excited for you! Are you interested in re-flooring?

    ReplyDelete