My mom tells me that the "Who's missing?" question was usually one of the first signs that another child might be in her near future. I don't think that applies to me in this case. I do think, however, that life is getting easier with two kids. A certain level of worrying weight has been lifted since Robert hit 3 months of age. Just after he was born, I would list the other members of my family as Robert, Alice, and Bobby. Robert's needs were always at the top of my list, so his name came out first every time. Then Alice. Bobby's survival has little to do with my day to day work. I know he'll eat when he's hungry, sleep when he's tired, and use the bathroom when it's convenient whether or not I'm there to remind him or clean up after him. Sorry, Bobby, but I just don't worry about you very much :) It's a good sign that I can now list my family members in chronological order.
Robert is making his way. His daily rhythm is clear. He sleeps through the night (mostly). He adores Alice and Alice loves to make him smile. He's sturdy enough to wrestle with, though not yet coordinated enough to carry on my hip. He knows and loves his daddy's voice. Aside from the awkward back pain resulting from lugging around a 19+ pound infant, I'd say it's pretty darn easy having Robert around these days. I know him better. I love him more.
So, you know that kid I'm supposed to worry about all the time? He's no longer here. He's a new boy and my life is better for having met him.

When I first saw that picture I thought, "wow! That looks like Bobby." But now I'm not sure who he looks like. Either way, he's a cutie. And I can't believe how big his is! Chan is only 22 lbs and he's got almost 15 months on Robert. :) We're excited to see you all soon!
ReplyDelete