Here are a couple snapshots of the garden now (compare it to 3 weeks ago):
The metal framing is the skeleton for my upcoming "squirrel exclosure." The first approach will be to drape the frame with heavyweight bird netting. There are ample food sources in my neighborhood for squirrels (i.e. two neighbors who actively feed them all year because they're "just so darn cute!"), and squirrels haven't discovered my garden as a potential food source yet (i.e. it's just greens at this point), so the bird netting may be perfectly sufficient. If the squirrels start chewing holes it the netting, however, I'll be forced to take a hit in convenience and install chicken wire. Ugly stuff, harder to work with, but effective. I could also let the chickens loose in the mulch paths. They chase away squirrels. Actually, Agnes chases them away and the other two biddies follow her because they're terrified to be left alone for half a second. Guard chickens. Yeah.
The plan is to assemble this structure over each garden bed so I can eventually remove the perimeter fence.
Everything is planted and growing well. I love, love, love June. I spy blossoms on my tomatoes and cantaloupes. My Dad spotted the lima beans as "pole", not "bush" type. It was tricky putting in a support frame when the plants were already 18 inches tall and growing into each other, but now it's okay. Dang it all. I didn't remember to double check if there was a "bush" variety of lima bean.
I have a miniature bunny enjoying my bean plants. It's just a baby, barely weaned, that can hop effortlessly through the 2"x3" holes in the fencing. My awesome veggies appear to be making it fat, however, and I suspect it won't fit through the fence much longer. I hope wandering bunnies will also be deterred by the bird netting in the future...maybe my beans won't be worth the extra chewing hassle :) Would Agnes chase bunnies away? Bunnies usually strike when the ladies are already in bed.
Bummer.
No comments:
Post a Comment