I was just re-reading some of my older posts and realized I could update you on a few things:
First off, we've hired a professional to remove the asbestos containing materials (ACM) from our kitchen. He's due to arrive the week of May 9th. I'm finding a new groove with the kitchen out of sorts. Having new people working in my home is way more stressful than having to wash dishes in the bathroom.
Second, I couldn't stand feeding five fully grown hens for only 1-2 eggs a day, so last weekend, the kids and I drove out to my friend's free-range egg farm and left them there. My friend routinely takes some of her most raggedy hens to a livestock auction in Arthur, IL. She was kind enough to add my five to her next trip. Turns out, though, that my five don't act like the other chickens. While they were hanging out on the farm waiting for auction day, they stuck together in a clump and followed the people around all day. Made me laugh to hear that. I didn't think these birds had connected to us much, but they were far more accustomed to people than the free-range hens were. My hens were much fatter and prettier, too ;)
Third, we followed up with Alice's failed hearing test and her complaint about blurry vision. She passed both exams with flying colors. The car ride home from the eye doctor was not pleasant, however, as she loudly protested the existence of a "glasses club" at school where members get ice cream parties and other special privileges flung at them all stinking year.
Fourth, our new chicks are in the big pen. So much more yard/garden/farm stuff to do. I'm kinda glad for this pause in the kitchen remodel (waiting for ACM removal) so I can spend energy outside growing stuff. And I'm growing a lot of new stuff this year. Also changing some infrastructure: adding 2 new flower beds, building a taller screened bed for curcurbits and brassicas, adding irrigation, and devising a taller squirrel-proof frame for growing miniature corn. Yippee!
Thursday, April 28, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Glasses club? Ice cream parties?! SO not fair. Atticus wants glasses, too, and he doesn't even have a glasses club to covet entry to.
ReplyDelete