I rarely get focused, quiet think time these days. I love my life, but I don't get to stop and appreciate the moments as often. That means I blog less. It also means I don't record the bits and bobs of my kids' experiences that help me appreciate them as growing individuals.
This Lenten season, starting today on Ash Wednesday, I'll be working on appreciating moments and recording them here. My goal is to record something every day or two.
I will also be working on loving people outside my friends and family, but I haven't quite figured out the details for that...it's a big one. Definitely too big to tackle all at once. Still searching for a bite-sized chunk.
Anyway, here is my offering for today:
We are at the dinner table one night and Matthew turns to me in all seriousness, with his perpetually stuffy nose and high, squeaky voice, and rapid slurring and darling speech impediments, "Mom, you know how we don't see giants anywhere?"
"Yeah."
(pause) His eyes get big and a grin tugs at the corners of his mouth, "Maybe WE are the giants!"
"What?!"
"Yah! Maybe WE are the giants and there are other little people we don't know about and they're afraid of us but they don't know we're just normal people!!" His joy and excitement at this revelation clearly evident.
Matthew has incorporated this concept into his play, too. He's really into character play these days, where he takes a small object and animates it into life. The little character has adventures all over the house, and Matthew always wants someone else to be another little character in his game. One day, his little character says to my little character, "You want to see my giant?"
"Your giant? What's that?"
Then he makes his character point to himself, Matthew, and he stands up to his full height and smiles, "Hiiiiiiiiiiiiii!" Matthew is his little character's own giant! Matthew pulled his real self into his own little fantasy! And of COURSE he's a giant in that world. My eyes grew big. That totally blew my mind.
Wednesday, March 6, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment