Sunday, March 10, 2019

Robert Moment

It came time for the kids to have a Family Home Evening Treat. Robert suddenly remembered that there were some ice cream cones (drumsticks?) in the freezer and decided that he wanted one of those more than the brownies he had originally planned on serving. Well, it turned out there were only three ice creams left and all four kids wanted one.

Tick*tock*tick*tock

If all four kids wanted ice cream the most, then no one could have one, and all would get brownies. I offered to cut the cones in half and that was COMPLETELY unacceptable.

Tick*tock*tick*tock

No one would budge.

I started to put the ice cream back in the freezer when Robert blurted out, "I'll have a brownie!!"

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

The ice cream was doled out and I served Robert a brownie (extra large due to his personal sacrifice...he noticed). The kids were eating quietly when Robert asked me, "Do you want to know why I picked a brownie?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I was going to get a brownie either way. If I wanted ice cream, then I'd get a brownie. If I wanted brownie, I'd get brownie."

"Do you see how your choice, though, allowed everyone else to get what they wanted most? Even though you got the same thing either way?"

"Yeah." *shrug*

I couldn't really tell if he had been gracious and thoughtful in this case, or just perfectly rational. And I can't tell if that matters to me. Either way, it was a peek into his thought processes, which I found rewarding in and of itself. Robert can be very generous and thoughtful. Shockingly so. But he can also swing all the way to the opposite end and everything in between.

He was in a really good mood this afternoon. He asked to snuggle me on the couch. He told me several times that he loved me and that I was wonderful. He was attentive to my needs and wanted to make sure I was comfortable. It was a very rare and extended expression of affection. I liked it. A lot.

IMG_20190310_164259645
Playing around with the camera.

Our Mother-and-Son group (SAMs Club) successfully saved the world last night (thanks to a few very good hints) in an escape room at C-U Adventures. It. Was. Chaos. But a fun sort of chaos, and I only punched one kid in the face (sorry about that, T).


1 comment: