Wednesday, May 27, 2020

D&D

Some time ago, as my kids developed interests in dragons, battle, magic, magical creatures and such, I picked up a Dungeons & Dragons Starter Kit at the store. I only knew three things about the game: it involved fantasy creatures, players work cooperatively (not competitively), and there was a special set of dice. Oh, and I knew some people could really, really, really get into it. Obsessively. Usually teenage boys.

I tucked it into my closet, thinking it would make a good birthday or Christmas present eventually.

Enter Covid-19 and 2 months of stay-at-home directives...sigh...

I pulled it out and we started learning how to play it. The instructions were in a foreign language: ability checks, d20, saving throw, initiative order, strength modifier...oh man.

Thankfully, Erin had played it before and could help us. We instantly dubbed her our dungeon master and gave it a go. The first couple rounds were really, really rough: so much fighting and frustration as we learned how to work together as a team. Our last get-together, though, was a lot of fun.

We had snacks and fancy beverages.

We each had our OWN set of dice.

There was a map in front of us to help us imagine the scene.

Erin played music for ambiance: fight music for the battles, ominous music as we explored the goblins' lair.

That was awesome. Even James and Matthew got into it! We cheered and supported each other much better, trying to stay "in character" more. And now we all have enough experience points to level up! That sentence meant nothing to me a couple weeks ago :) Now we're all looking forward to the next part of the adventure.


1 comment:

  1. I am so torn/excited about this. Jake would secretly love to have a D&D group, he would love to have the kids love it and want to do it. But the learning/growing pains might be too much. Its too bad board games aren't easier to play over skype...we could have quite the gaming group.

    ReplyDelete