Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Projects

IMG_20200430_124817234_HDR
James planned out and created about 8 little pillows over the last few days. He cut the fabric, sewed the edges (by hand or with my sewing machine), stuffed them, and sealed them up. He loves them! And he's planning to donate them to people in need. I don't know exactly how the gift will be received, but I will donate them all the same.

IMG_20200428_133047284
James' science project this week was to create a model of a chicken coop out of things he had on-hand at home. He's spent several hours learning how to safely use a hot glue gun and bring his dream to life. I took this picture early on in the process. It looks nothing like this now.

IMG_20200426_155249898
Robert was shocked and excited to find this mutant dandelion in our backyard. He had to show everyone, then he asked for my phone and had Alice take a picture of him with it.

IMG_20200503_183204532
This is another of Robert's recent projects: a 20-gallon terrarium that will soon house a crested gecko. He researched a variety of pets that would meet his specific requirements, studied deeply about the needs of a crested gecko, had Bobby help him price out everything, and asked me to order all the specific materials. Even though he had saved enough to cover all the expenses, he's trading screen time and doing extra chores to rebuild his savings (he came programmed this way, I promise). This is all the hardware that has arrived so far. By next week, he should have the habitat well-furnished and ready for an animal to move in.

IMG_20200426_192027272_HDR
Here's a different view of my new garden space from our back patio. It takes up half of the backyard. Bobby was initially concerned that there would be much less space for the kids to play in. I see his point. I also see them playing in, around, and through my the garden every second I'm out there in it. Robert offers to help with the digging bits. James is eager to help with the planting bits. Alice is watching her seedlings closely. Matthew just asks, "Why do you spend so much time in the garden, Mom?" When the blueberries are ripe, I don't think he'll be asking that anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment