Friday, January 6, 2012

"They're ugly as all get out and I don't care."

Bobby is a good fit for me. The more we go along in this life together, the more I appreciate how well we work together. In my most recent revelation, it turns out that his lack of opinion can be therapeutic...

Chapter 1: I'm a pleaser. I have my own agenda, but I also like other people to like my agenda. Middle child syndrome? Anyway, I've been looking at this new house of ours and noticing how naked the walls are and how empty the rooms feel. I naturally turn to my home decor idols (i.e. anyone in my acquaintance who happens to have some sort of opinion on the matter) for ideas and input. Three words in, I'm feeling overwhelmed. I really don't feel strongly about colors. I like most styles and ideas as long as there's a convincing follow-through. I have no idea what I'm doing. Then the nightmares begin. I dream that I'm going to school one day and I suddenly remember a book report that's due--now--and then I remember I didn't even read the book. Panic! Another night, I'm dreaming about an enormous project with a looming deadline and its success is dependent on lots of other people and I can't remember their names or contact info. In my waking life, the bare walls constantly remind me of decisions I haven't made and *ugh* shopping that must be done and *sigh* all the different people I want to invite into our home and what they'll notice. It's hard to prioritize my to-do list in that environment. I've been craving a lot of chocolate.

Chapter 2: Bobby. I run my decorating ideas by him now and then and he's interested in a non-committal way. We start talking about our individual "home project" lists and all of my home decor burden gushes out. Home decor is not even on Bobby's radar. I confess my apprehension and ask him how he deals with it. I ask him specifically what he thinks about those curtains in our bedroom. He says, "They're ugly as all get out and I don't care. They work right and do their job. If they were broken, I'd want to change them right away. But now? Psshh."

Chapter 3: Complete enlightenment! He voiced my exact feelings and set me free! Bobby's lack of opinion means he's not someone I can please. That used to annoy me. It turns out, however, that a blank slate is the PERFECT place for a pleaser like me to stop and think about what I really want out of this. And what I want is NOT to decorate my perfectly functional and comfy home...for now. I've granted myself a decorating reprieve. I will focus on the matters that really engage me: managing clutter, repairing non-functioning doorknobs, and optimizing natural light. And of course, there's the yard and garden work. It's been a warm and beautiful January so far...I may equip the chicken coop with an asphalt roof and easy-to-clean linoleum flooring this week.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! You guys rock. I have moments of similar angst. Moving into a more decoratable space will do that to you. All those blank walls just staring.... In my case I have ideas, but no money or energy to execute them perfectly. So I'm working on "good enough" place holders. It's not ideal, but it works...for now. And probably will for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. right there with you on this issue!! Its too overwhelming to decorate an entire house from scratch so I've also allowed decorating to drop to the very bottom of my to do list! I might steal some of your garden ideas! We have a huge yard and I have no idea what to do with it!!

    ReplyDelete