Monday, January 9, 2012

Mini Orchard and Garden Plans...Version 1

Freed of the home decor issue, my thoughts have recently turned to outside. Alice and Robert have helped me meticulously measure portions of our backyard in preparation for this sweet piece of joy:

Initial Plans for my Future Mini Orchard and Garden. The house is on the left/west. Dwarf apple, cherry, peach, and pear trees are fenced with the chicken coop (excellent symbiotic relationship!). A short fence keeps the hens out of the raised perennial and veggie garden beds that have been arranged to minimize pathways. RB: rain barrels; C: compost bins
This, dear friends, is my backyard mini orchard and garden...so far. I still have to hear from the utility companies about where I can dig and plant trees *sigh*, so things may get rearranged, but the bare bones are in place. The cloud shapes are mature trees currently affecting light and soil issues. Refer to the caption for a key to other symbols. Together, the orchard and garden add up to just over the square footage of our last house: 1200 sqft.

This. is. why. I. bought. this. house.

(...along with the great location for easy commutes, and nearby families with kids our kids' ages, and an elementary school I'm not afraid of...) 

And lest you feel sorry for everyone else who lives in this house and wants a piece of the backyard action, I left some room for them.
2011 aerial view of our new home. Dark blue defines the property line. Light blue defines my current plans for the garden.

Heck, they've still got room to run and a whole patio to boot! Well, actually, I may steal the eastern portion of the patio for a bed of raspberries, or a mini vineyard, but that's all in the details, darling. Nothing to worry about now ;) 

This is huge for me. The dream coming true. I feel like I should arrange a groundbreaking ceremony or something. 

Hope the neighbors don't freak out.

P.S. Urban chickens ARE allowed in Urbana. I double-checked before deciding to look too closely at this neighborhood :)

4 comments:

  1. SQUEEEEEEE! I am SO FREAKIN' EXCITED for you! All that garden and running space to boot! Is there any way we can get Utah and Illinois to move closer together??

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Apologies for using "freakin.'" I'm working on finding a better intensifier.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am 100% opposite from you in this respect - I love indoor decorating but have not the slightest clue where to begin or what even would work outside. Your plans look great! I would never have even THOUGHT about light or soil issues. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! Go gardening and orcharding and chickening! Can't wait to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete