The utility companies just came and marked up my lawn. Electric and communication cables are buried right across my planned garden spot. A little sad, but not a deal-killer. Here's why:
Underground utilities in Illinois have to be buried below the frostline (about 3 ft deep) in protective tubing. Tree roots are largely in the top 1-3 feet of soil. Roots don't care about cables anyway since they don't provide any water or air. Dwarf fruit trees are unlikely to extend roots deep enough and thick enough to move/break a utility cable 4 feet down.
As for the garden beds, hand digging is required (i.e. no heavy machinery or motorized tills) up to 18 inches on either side of the marked line. This means I can't take a rototiller to the sod and plow through it in one day. Bummer. Dare I try the old double-digging trick with a shovel and wheelbarrow...for 250 sqft of new garden through old sod and clay soil? If so, I'm making it a party and inviting all my shovel-wielding friends.
I could find no evidence or warning or law or recommendation pertaining to planting trees above underground utilities. Most of the tree-utility conflict arises from 1) poorly planned trees damaging overhead power lines, 2) poorly planned trees penetrating sewer and septic drains, and 3) tree roots getting destroyed when underground utilities need to be dug up and repaired. In my case, #1 doesn't apply, #2 doesn't apply, and #3 is an opportunity to try a new variety of fruit tree (I can't imagine getting emotionally attached to a fruit tree, no matter how beautiful and productive it is.)
So, tentatively, I will move forward as planned but add in another party. I've got to figure out a few more details on the "squirrel protection" front, and there's no real groundbreaking until spring, but it's nice to have something to look forward to...and a little more time to find shovel-wielding friends.
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Be aware that you might get more attached to those trees than you think. After you have watered, pruned, and babied them, even for a season they become yours and there is no greater joy than to see the first fruits of your labor. Happy planting!
ReplyDeleteSusan
i don't have a shovel but i'm sure i could find one and wield it!
ReplyDelete