Wednesday, December 19, 2007
It's official: She's MOBILE!
I finally got a video of the babe crawling and then she decides THE NEXT DAY to start walking. Eeek! She walks across the living room to throw herself into her Daddy's arms or play with her toy shelf. I thought I would cry the first time I saw her walk. I always cry when I see my friends' babies walking for the first time. There's just something about that wobbly vulnerability and the look on the kid's face that makes it one of the most amazing moments to witness...in someone else's child. With Alice, I was excited for her and happy that she could do this on her own, but I felt no warm and fuzzy "milestone" feelings. In some ways I was scared for her. Or for me? It's hard to tell. The moment I first saw her crawl, I had to call up Bobby and my mom and let them know this amazing news. Now that she's walking, I'm actually nervous and a little tense. There are mixed feelings. When a kid is on all fours, they don't trip and smack their head into pointy furniture or stone walls. They don't lose their balance and end up going FASTER because of it. Or backwards. So, perhaps I'm having trouble being excited about all the painful learning she has yet to do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I knew that she was precocious! I can't wait to see video of that (and I do want to see the crawling one as well.)
ReplyDeleteI'm always nervous for others kids when they become mobile. That's when they can tumble down stairs and get into chemicals and yes, I've been in medicine too long. I'm sure Alice will do great at it all.
I just sent you a link of pictures from Thanksgiving. There's a movie of Alice - she looks so wobbly and uncertain of herself but excited all the same. Enjoy!
Yay Alice! I remember those first few days of walking very well. I was both excited and nervous when Will started walking. We hadn't completely finished baby-proofing our house for a walker yet, so I was also scared of him hitting his head or doing something else dangerous. But she'll get the hang of it very quickly, and before you know it you'll be able to relax.
ReplyDelete