Tuesday, December 4, 2007

New Games!

Okay, so I was doing a little research on how to play with a 9-month-old baby. I didn't realize it was as easy as watching what they like to do and giving them more opportunities to do it. Duh. So, instead of rolling my eyes and thinking of my aching back when Alice grabs my fingers for a walk, I think of it as a game and a learning opportunity. I talk to her about the rooms we're visiting and we explore all the crazy things that catch her eye.

She likes to bang sticks on things, too, especially if it makes lots of noise. So now Alice has a drum set in the living room (bowls and spoons). It didn't take her long to catch on to THAT game. I took a little video, but I'm not sure how to convert it into Flash to post here. That will have to wait for Bobby to return from California.

Alice is also an expert at taking things out of boxes and baskets--toys, laundry, recycling--anything put in its "proper" place is attractive to her. She'll shove both hands in and huck whatever she grabs to the side. So, now I put away Alice's toys more often during the day just so she can pull them all out again.

I introduced Alice to the spinning chair in our living room. She's learned that when I ask "More spin?" she should clutch my chest and lay her head down. She's even started making little "wheeeeeee" sounds with me. This kid cracks me up.

Finally, Alice is a little mountain climber. She's not brave enough to climb furniture, but she'll grab a hold of my shirt or pants and pull herself up into a standing position. Now we have a game where I lie or sit on the floor next to her with my limbs in different arrangements. She finds a way to stand up every time, and I think she actually takes pride in it!

Today, with all these entertainments, there was no frustration or screaming. It doesn't hurt that I also started paying attention to her in a different way. She needs me in different ways than she used to. I need to look for Alice's own new and different ways of communicating.

No comments:

Post a Comment