Friday, September 9, 2011

Cars

 I once heard an experienced parent and friend say, "All boys need the outdoors. They literally need it. It's where they belong." This parent was making an argument for the value of scouting in a boy's life, and I didn't exactly buy it at the time, but I'm beginning to reconsider. My boy needs to be outside. It's my go-to activity when kids are melting down and my energy is evaporating. We sit on the front step and look at dirt. He plays with sticks, chases wildlife, and beckons me with his grunty hand gestures to join him.


Outside is also where our car lives at the moment. When he's outside, Robert usually wants to spend some time in the car. He climbs over the seats, pushes the radio buttons, and manipulates cup holders. 

  


Most of the time he's just climbing around, climbing around, and breaking into a heavy-breathing sweat climbing around some more. He's developed a habit of pushing every recognizable button. Some are more rewarding than others:



Did I do that?
All this extra time in the car has been good for me. Alice finds it profitable, too. I have ample opportunity to keep the car clean, and Alice earns big bucks vacuuming the back seat and floor (huzzah! money CAN conquer some fears). Now I have a handful of activities to help me endure that crazy time between naps and dinner: kid bath, go outside, and/or clean the car.

1 comment:

  1. You know, the other day I caught myself locking Atticus INSIDE the house because I didn't feel like going out with him. I quickly changed my mind, put on my shoes, grabbed my embroidery, and went outside with my boy. As I was getting ready, James said, "He doesn't have to spend all day outside." And I thought, "Why not?" and said, "What else are we going to do for the next two hours?" Yell at him to stop climbing on the back the couch and stop making noise? So much better to just go outside.

    ReplyDelete