Friday, September 30, 2011

Grocery Store Tour

As part of our preschool field trip series, I scheduled a "behind the scenes" tour of our local grocery store. Apparently this is something they do regularly. We skimmed the fresh produce, went to the loading dock and receiving area, walked through an enormous cooler, met a few managers here and there, visited the deli, and spent a significant amount of time watching a bakery employee make one of these:






Then everyone was treated to milk and cookies from said bakery. Alice had a tough life lesson in hyperpalatability. After hearing that she would get to enjoy only one cookie, she burst into tears, "Why do they make these taste so good?! *sob*sob*sniff* I want a hundred of them!"All I could say was, "Yeah, I want a hundred of them, too. They make them that way on purpose." :(

I couldn't tell that any of the kids were particularly fascinated with any aspect of the tour, but when Bobby asked Alice about it later, she enthusiastically described the enormous fridge and the Barbie cake as her favorite parts. No mention of the cookie fiasco.

Robert was well-behaved and interested in the tour. He was MOST interested in the balloon display in the floral section, but reasonably comfortable and obedient the whole time. He's mellowed out a lot the last few days. Hitting less, snuggling more, and using words before freaking out are all good signs that juggling two will get easier someday :) Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment