Neither house is stunningly beautiful at first glance. That's okay. I like the idea of living undercover (that's a blog post for another day). They both get our kids into better elementary schools and they both have more than one bathroom. Both also happen to be on larger plots of land with good potential for garden and orchard. That's just about where the similarities end. Those are the most important qualifications for our new home...for the moment. It's almost a coincidence that they both happen to be within our current ward boundaries.

I'm not madly in love with either one. I think about them. I obsess over how our family would fit into each one. I envision family meals, hours of homework, out-of-town guests, late nights, and sullen teenagers rattling around inside. I see my kids playing in the yard, reading in the front room, and snuggling with me by the fireplace. Yes, both houses fit within my desired range of suitability. I like one house's layout better and the other house's location better. If I had to choose this moment between layout and location, I would pick location. I might have a different answer for you tomorrow :)
I'll spare you the house-to-house feature comparison. I've mulled it over ad nauseum. No, my purpose in blogging about this is to make sense of the nebulous feeling that it's just not adding up somewhere.
My Dream:
Modest home that's easy to maintain inside
Private space for everyone
Public space large enough for entertaining periodically
Large, private backyard with ample sun and space for garden, orchard, and a few laying hens
Excellent schools within walking/biking distance
Weekly shopping within walking/biking distance
Good friends within walking/biking distance
Church building and Bobby's work within a few minutes drive
Bobby's Dream (as far as I can decipher, if he even has an ideal house in mind):
Close to work
Yard for playing
Easy to maintain landscaping
Walking distance to elementary school
Low maintenance home (newer roof, appliances, windows, etc.)
At least one bedroom and bathroom on ground level
Alice's Dream:
Basement to hide in during tornados
Chimney
Sunroom for her craft table and supplies
Robert's Dream:
Dog/Squirrel/Rabbit/Bird/Cat to chase
Train/Truck/Car to climb all over
Ugh. Both houses seem to meet all my expectations on paper! It should add up into "this one is right for us", but it simply doesn't. I just can't figure it out. I can't choose one. Does that mean they're both wrong? Does that mean anything at all? If I had to choose right now, I would choose one and just make it work. Yet somehow, choosing one of these homes at this point feels more like a "Charlotte and Mr. Collins" match than an "Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy" match. Either one would make a practical and comfortable home, but I really want to LOVE my next home...sigh.
Or is this whole selection process more like "Choose your love. Love your choice"?

I totally know where you are coming from. I did not want to buy our house. I liked it. I thought we could fit in it, probably even for a long time, but I wasn't ready and I did not want it. I had the luxury of the answer to prayers being "yes, buy it, quit whining". As soon as we moved in though, it became home. I love this house. I even love the quirky things I want to change about it. Remember, home is where the heart is, the rest is just the stuff you use. You will get it right.
ReplyDeleteGood Luck!
So I would say if you don't absolutely love one, keep looking...since you have the time. That being said we moved into a settling house and couldn't be happier! We had a time line and so somehow even though it wasn't even our first choice of the day, let alone our 3 trips out here because it met all our list items we picked it, and everytime I use one of those said items I'm happy! But I do think you need peace of mind, and if you can't find it well that is a hard place to be. Good luck Susan! Ps someday Maryanne will have to move. Silly residencies! I think with any house you have to say will this home as much once my best friend doesn't live so close?
ReplyDeleteI tend to collapse at the sight of big decisions like this, so I can totally empathize. Why won't one house just glow or something so you know it's the right one? They both look lovely, the first one slightly more so.
ReplyDeleteJust remember, you'll find new things to dislike and love about any house once you move in. Also, you plan for the long term (teenagers, etc.), but you don't HAVE to stay there. This house doesn't lock you in to the rest of your life, just like your last house didn't.
That said, keep looking for "the one," but remember that even Mr. Darcy was highly undesirable at first. He and Elizabeth had to grow on each other.