Got the lab results back. Asbestos is present in all the old layers of linoleum. I'm so happy to have that nugget of knowledge after all the different things I was hearing from the professional flooring folks. Whew.
Asbestos in the linoleum is bad, yes, but workable. The lab was kind enough to give me the names of a few companies that are licensed to remove asbestos, so I've made a few calls to get ballpark estimates. It's probably insanely expensive :(
Asbestos removal is also something we could do ourselves, should we choose to go that route. Wet everything down, run a HEPA filter, wear the right filtered masks and disposable paper clothing, use plastic sheeting to seal the area from the rest of the house (and HVAC), and stockpile some heavy duty contractor bags and cardboard boxes.
DIY Asbestos Removal:
2 squirt bottles--$2
2 disposable coveralls--$20
2 roofing spades--$100
1 asbestos-approved respirator + new cartridges--$70
heavy duty plastic sheeting and tape--$25
freestanding HEPA filter + replacement filter--$230
contractor bags and boxes--$50
waste disposal--6 hours round trip to Household Hazardous Waste facility
3 vacation days--priceless
3 days of childcare--priceless
Thursday, April 21, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well, I definitely vote for letting someone else do all that and you go somewhere else for a while. Whatever the cost difference.
ReplyDeleteUgh. Good luck. I hope when all this is done, that you love your new kitchen and all of this is just a distant, foggy memory :) (But foggy because it's not that big a part of the greatness of the new kitchen ... not because of the asbestos.)
ReplyDelete