Thursday, September 15, 2011

3 miles more

Alice took her bike on another adventure. I was on foot this time, pushing an impatient and wiggly Robert in the stroller. She covered another 3 miles around a park and through some neighborhoods (she does normally wear her helmet, just not when I had the camera out).


 


Buddy fell in love with the windmill instantly. It was a gusty morning and the windmill would spin intermittently. Robert kept blowing at it...maybe thinking he was making it spin? They had a long, teary goodbye as we headed back to the playground. We'll have to come back another time.

Just walking/jogging behind her (that girl can zoom!), seeing her play and ride, I was filled with a moment of peaceful satisfaction. This place in my life is a good place. I'm coming to the point where my visions of family and motherhood have always seemed to start: preschooler and toddler, out and about, figuring out the world and being together, enjoying our time right where we are. Whenever I tried to envision my future family in the past, the scene would invariably be moments like that one. When I envision my future family even now, it's a cluster of us having fun together somewhere outdoors where each one of us is engaged in the activity and honestly happy.

Those moments of peaceful satisfaction don't come often, and this is the first time one has tapped into something so familiar and resonating as my maternal undercurrents. Heck, I didn't even know I had maternal undercurrents until today :) It's a good place to be.

3 comments:

  1. i really like how reflective you are here on your blog, maternal undercurrents and all. Plus i like seeing a picture of the bike you mentioned yesterday. Benjamin has never tried one. Looks cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure she does Susan :) One of Jason's biggest complaints in life is I make him wear his helmet. When I was a girl I used to ride away from my house and take it off. Now here I am the mom on helmet crack down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You totally have maternal undercurrents. And riptides. ;-) My deeply happy maternal moments are when Atticus is talking to me and I can focus all my attention on him. He lies next to me in bed and tells me whatever's on his mind, and my heart wants to burst with contentment.

    I've been thinking about a bike for the boy for Christmas, but maybe a push bike is the way to go. Speed and mobility without frustration.

    ReplyDelete