Saturday, January 7, 2012

Quiet Time Novel

Alice was extra quiet during quiet time today. I thought she had fallen asleep. I peeked in to see her lying on her stomach, mostly under the covers, busily drawing in a spiral notebook. She sat me down right away to show me her drawings:


Here is Alice with $100, Jonie with $4, and Aina with only $1. You can tell Alice is delighted and Jonie is quietly pleased, and teeny weeny Aina is almost in tears. The math problem at the top is 1+4=5 (She X'd out the 3 for some reason. I know she finds the 3 a particularly awkward number to write.)


Here is a queen (on the bottom) with three monies. The king at the top has only 1 money and his mouth is wide open. The cloud guards around them have no money and they are pretty grumpy. Check out those angry eyebrows!


Alice tells me that "Baby Tiger" wanted to draw, too, and shadowed her creations on this next page. The itty bitty house and the flag look like Baby Tiger traced them after she drew them. Baby Tiger did a great copy (on the bottom right) of Alice's portrait of a girl.


She had nothing to say about this picture beyond pointing out the striped circle on the upper right and telling me it's a brain surrounded by bones. This makes a little more sense in the next two pictures.


A portrait of a smiling girl in which you can see her circle brain and the bones (stripes) protecting her brain. You can see the leg bones, too (i.e. 2 stripes for the legs instead of the usual 1)


A boy with his bones...seems to be missing his smile, but he does have toes on one foot :)

A mom holding her child's hand. Alice especially pointed out the earrings and the keys in her left hand. 

She just laughed when I asked her about this one. "Sometimes I just draw things. This one's scary!"


Another parent-child portrait.


And here begins a little story she devised. Here's a mommy driving with a kid in the back seat. "She's a little tired (pointing to the mommy's droopy eye)." (I bust a gut laughing at this point and Alice took it as a compliment...whew.)


"First they went to the store." I'm assuming this is the door to the store?


"And then they went somewhere else." Another door?


"This says 'CTO doctor's office' and the little girl doesn't know they're going to the doctor." 


"The little girl opening her mouth wide. See her tongue? On the doctor's table." (I thought she was screaming at the realization of her fate...)


"This is the nurse. Those are socks (pointing to the the big, stripy rectangles)"


(I laughed so hard when I turned the page and saw this next picture that I didn't hear Alice's explanation. But to Alice, nurses only mean one thing: shots.) I did hear that "his eyes are closed."


Here's the girl after her shot in the right arm. See the shot hole by her hair? Her eyes are closed, too, and she's smiling that it's over.


The girl gets back in the car with her mommy. Safely buckled. Mommy has her feet on the pedals.


Another picture of the shot hole in the little girl's arm.


Home again, enjoying a lollipop from the doctor's office. 





She asked for another notebook at bedtime, since she had filled the first one with several more drawings by the end of the day. I'm curious to see what she comes up with next.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is really impressive, Alice! I especially love the shot holes and the brain bones. What creativity!

    ReplyDelete