I recently learned about a series of FREE fishing clinics for kids in the C-U area. They're put on by the Champaign Park District. I signed up both of the kids for it (free, but must register through the CPD at least one week in advance, can even register online). The instructions were clear and all the equipment was easy to use. There was plenty of help when you needed it (i.e. to rebait the hook or take your fish off the line). It was strictly catch and release. Everything was provided for us.
In 90 minutes, with one rod, Alice caught 2 bluegills and one "pumpkin seed fish", Buddy reeled in a blue gill of his own, and I baited the hook 5-6 times. The kids would fight over who got to pick the next worm. The fish were itty bitty. I think that was best, actually, because they were less threatening that way. Both kids wanted to pet every catch and Alice threw all but the first one back in by herself.
Even with all the exciting fish action, there was a lot of hot waiting around. Buddy was too little to grasp the concept. He just liked reeling it in and letting it out over and over again until the bait finally fell off the hook. Alice could barely scrape together enough patience to make it work for her. If it had been shadier and if there had been other kids her age to fish with, then she may have complained less. She was all giggles and excitement when the fish would come out of the water, though, and she's begging to go back again.
The coolest thing about all this was that we were fishing at a common park in town. I think they called it "Urban Fishing." It was fun and relatively fast-paced. Every person in the class caught several little fish each.
Would I do it again? You bet. I think I'll sign us up again for another round in a couple weeks. And maybe I'll request a hookless rod for Buddy to play with on his own. Anyone want to join us?
Tuesday, July 3, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Will was asking about going fishing a few weeks ago, so maybe we could do a family fishing lesson sometime :)
ReplyDelete