Friday, May 14, 2010

Dual Check-up

Alice and Little Bob both went to the doctor today for routine maintenance.

Alice was uncomfortable with the new "procedures" that came with a 3-year exam: blood pressure, vision screening, and hearing test. She didn't cooperate well with the medical assistant who seemed very, very new at all this. We filled out a preschool physical form, too, in case I can get my act together in time to enroll Alice for Fall 2010 (that decision is another blog post entirely!). She's growing (still the 50th percentile for height, 75th for weight) and meeting all the important developmental milestones: chatty, imaginative, active, familiar with colors, numbers, and letters. She did have to get one shot (poor girl) and couldn't stop screaming "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" while the nurse got it ready and did the deed. I was snuggling Alice on my lap, wrapping as much of my body around hers as I possibly could. She wasn't struggling, but I thought the big hug would bring comfort. She wanted escape, not comfort. In the end, a teary Alice clutched her lollipop and stumbled out into the lobby with me. She was stunned. Her mantra for the next ten minutes was a raspy and defeated, "I...don't...like...shots." We came home, dosed her with ibuprofen for the oncoming fever, and read stories in the Snuggle Chair until she said weakly, "I'm a little tired. Let's snuggle in my room." She was asleep 3 minutes later.

Little Bob waited patiently for his turn at the doctor's office. He's growing well, too. He's on the big end for length (75-90th percentile), and definitely big for weight (97th percentile). He's on track developmentally, too: periodic smiles and holding his head up. No shots for our little man this time.

So here's my question for y'all with kids. Does your pediatrician smile and engage your child(ren) on their level? Are they warm? Do they reassure you and your kid(s)? Do they explain what they're doing? Do they talk directly to your child(ren)? Do your kids respond well to that? My pediatrician doesn't seem to be comfortable at any time, even after a couple of years going to her. She's very dry and business-oriented. I'm looking for someone more like Mr. Rogers. Any recommendations in the C-U area?

6 comments:

  1. We really really like Dr. Louisa Maranon at Christie on Windsor. She's fabulous with Taylor and talks to us like equals, AND she did a Nutrition fellowship so Matt thinks she's worthy... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen medical providers run the whole spectrum. The best one I've had was actually the medical assistant to the pediatric ophthalmologist. Katy thought she was playing games, not having an eye exam. I wish I could find a pediatrician or a dentist that was as enjoyable. Our pediatrician doesn't quite get kids, but she's fairly new. However, the nurse practitioner is wonderful and I try to schedule as many visits of ours as possible with her. I am biased towards nurse practitioners and midwifes. In C-U we switched to Dr. Susan Boulton, after our other doctor moved. The year Katy burned her arm, we got to meet a few of the other doctors too. I won't give you my opinion of them all. Overall I was happy with Dr. Boulton, but she's not very gushy. I was happy that she at least treated me like a decent Mom, answered my questions when I had them, but didn't treat me like I didn't know anything. But no, I didn't love her and either did the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our pediatrician does all that, and the kids (over time) have become comfortable enough to answer back for themselves, which is a wonderful skill. When we moved, I thought about changing doctors so we wouldn't have to drive so far. I am glad I didn't switch. I have come to realize how rare it is to find a doctor/practice that you really like. Good hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had hit-and-miss experiences with Rebecca Wright over at Carle Clinic on Curtis. She's not very talkative but knows what she's doing. I've gone back and forth with the idea of switching, so if you find any good ones let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We like the doctors at our current practice. All the doctors talk to the boys, ask questions, explain what they're doing. Rather than asking me if _____ can draw or write, she hands them a pencil and says draw on this. I also prefer the "What are ______'s new tricks?" instead of "Can he ______?" It's a much better experience than our pediatrician in C-U (Gilpin at Christie on Windsor). I also like that she respects my opinions, treats me like the incredibly observant and intelligent woman I am ;), and will explain why she's choosing the treatment she is. I just wish I didn't have to pay for four appointments to get four rounds of antibiotics *sigh*.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the elusive perfect pediatrician... :)

    Want to talk sometime? About pediatricians? preschools? anything else?

    After this week is good...

    ReplyDelete