Friday, June 23, 2017

Cuke/Zuke Sanctuary

Here's the monstrosity I concocted to protect my cucumbers and zucchini from two very pesky and persistent flying insect pests: the cucumber beetle and the squash beetle.

IMG_20170623_075442191

I don't like the window screen top. I've ordered more row cover fabric to replace it. In the meantime, it looks like this. It's 6 feet tall, 10 feet long, and 4 feet wide.

Also shown in this picture are snapdragons (one PINK one survived?! Really?! Blast it all. The other two aren't pink, thank goodness.), borage (another flower), cosmos (yet another flower), sweet peppers, celery, sweet potatoes, artisan tomatoes, pie pumpkins, flat leaf parsley, columnar basil, red grape tomato, sunflowers, giant zinnias, dill, amish paste tomatoes, geraniums, and Robert's little patch of wheat/oat seeds he gathered from the straw mulch.

All of these plants are still pretty young. You mostly see the mulch from this distance.

Not shown are the Colossal tomatoes, sweet corn, a second type of pie pumpkin, rainbow swiss chard and white potatoes.

Tomorrow, I will move the cukes and zukes into their new home. I am SO curious to see what comes of this garden as the season progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment