Friday, June 9, 2017

Thanks to Bobby

I woke up at 5:40 this morning, snuck out of the house while everyone else was sleeping, got my gardening tools, and headed out to the big garden all by myself.

I got to work in peace and complete focus. No one asked anything from me. No one distracted or interrupted me. I barely spoke four words.

Two hours later, I returned home feeling refreshed, happy, satisfied, and energized for the rest of the day.

This little miracle was made possible by 1) kids getting older and 2) Bobby's brilliant "sleep in day" swap idea. Our kids all sleep through the night (mostly), and none of them are nursing, and two of them are old enough to get their own breakfast and help the littles with minor things, so there's something of a regular, predictable morning routine that either one of us adults can easily manage on our own. The other adult gets to "sleep in." I have LOVED my "off days" and stopped begrudging my "on days."

Every night and every day used to be an "on day." Ugh.

The last week or so, I've been using my "off days" to work in the big garden. It means I don't get to sleep in, but the benefits have far outweighed the drawbacks. So far. And here's how I can prove it:

This morning, James came in and woke me up at 4:10. It was my "off day" so I redirected him to Bobby's side of the bed. James immediately lost interest and went back to his room. I had a fitful sleep after that, though, knowing I would be getting up soon to go to the big garden. My dream took me to a beautiful castle resort where we were visiting and vacationing with several people I love to hang out with. It was awesome! Until I looked at the clock in my dream and realized that I had MISSED my two hours in the garden. I was so, so disappointed, then so, so happy to wake up at 5:40 and get out to the garden after all!

What a relief and joy it is to have that time in the big garden all to my self.

Thanks, Bobby!

1 comment: