Thursday, June 29, 2017

Jealous Robin

There was a red-breasted robin stalking our backyard all afternoon. He/She was especially focused on the bird net surrounding our blueberry bushes that are just beginning to ripen.

IMG_20170629_163534349
Humans scored the food this time! Mr./Mrs. Robin will have to hunt elsewhere.
It's unfortunate, however, that I've just shown Matthew that the berries are edible. Out of the frying pan into the fire!

I peeked in at the Brussels sprouts and snapped this photo:

IMG_20170629_163457525
Marble-sized Brussels sprouts nestled in the leaf joints of their mother plant. Grow big and beautiful, my pretties!

The row cover seems to be doing its job of keeping the cabbage moths out. Something strange happened this week, though. I spied a cabbage moth trapped INSIDE the cover. In my furious confusion to let it out and kill it at the same time, I hit the cover full force and ripped a good-sized hole in the side.

*eye roll*

I can laugh about it now...no worries.

I temporarily patched the hole. The next day, I discovered 2 more trapped moths. One was squished in a fit of rage and the other was let free in a fit of remorse. No trapped moths since. I'm guessing their mom got lucky a few weeks ago and I'm hoping they didn't mate with each other and leave another generation behind.

These Brussels sprouts are sure making me wait a looooooooong time. 

The big garden is good. Lots of green tomatoes. Peppers flowering. Sweet potatoes starting to stretch out their vines. Everything is planted now, so we're entering the watch-water-weed phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment