...of that mini triathlon I signed up for this July. But I'm trying to convince myself to stay on track.
This is a mini triathlon, not a full one. I have two other teammates who will be handling the biking and running portions. I only have to swim. In a lake. For thirty minutes. With a few hundred people.
Here's the thing...I can barely swim 100 yards at a time without needing a break.
Here's the other thing...Freestyle stroke and I have a rocky relationship: I feel like we're friends at the beginning, but somewhere about 50-75 yards, he's playing mean tricks on me. And by 100 yards, he's trying to outright kill me. The mini-tri swim is 500 yards.
Here's one more thing...the thought of having that much lake water in my mouth kinda grosses me out.
Here's the real thing...I'm kinda scared of something this new and different for me.
So that's why I want to back out.
Here's why I want to stay in.
I don't like quitting.
I've already registered and there's no refund.
It's something new and different.
I swam laps for 30 minutes this morning and managed to get in a surprising 800 yards: 200 yards each of freestyle, backstroke, breast stroke, and side stroke. The rules don't say anything about which stroke(s) you have to use.
So, I guess I'll stay in this time. I won't however, keep pressuring my other friends to do a mini-tri with me in September. I signed up for this July one as a "practice run" for the one in September, but now I'm thinking that one is probably enough for me :)
Thursday, June 22, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've heard people talk about doing the breast stroke in triathlons. Our swim teacher said the breast stroke can even allow you a little bit of a break by keeping your head above water. I think that would be the only way I could even compete if I had to swim. I can't go far at all with the freestyle.
ReplyDeleteI admire your willingness to stick with it.
I'd like to back out of a commitment I made too--Girls' Camp. I am truly fearful of the experience, and mostly I am just going to be there working in the kitchen.