Monday, June 5, 2017

Strawberries!

It's strawberry season at our house and I swear they have never been this delicious before.
IMG_20170605_094154051
Teeny and bursting with flavor! And the strawberries are pretty good, too ;)

It's like I won the freakishly-delicious-strawberry lottery. And none of the varmints got them first! One of the berries was a scrumptious mouthful of fresh strawberry jam. I yelled out in surprise. Maybe it was a scream. And I may have fainted for a moment. Anyway, Robert looked at me funny and handed over 2 of his own berries just to see me lose it again.

Sheesh. What are these kids gonna remember about me?!

But all this deliciousness comes at a cost. An unknown cost. These are new strawberry plants and I was "supposed" to remove all the flower buds so the plants could focus on growing big and getting strong for the crop of their lifetime NEXT year. I was too lazy/busy/curious/greedy this time to follow the rules. Whoops. We shall see what happens next year, shan't we?

In other garden news, Robert has almost figured out how to water the plants with his thumb over the end of a hose. That's very, very good. Veeeeeeeery good...for me (evil laughter).

Our spring crop of mini cabbages is almost ready. They're about the size of croquet balls. James likes to go out there and measure the heads by squeezing them. He doesn't really eat cabbage, but he's dying to harvest it. He's always the first one at my side when I've got a harvesting knife in-hand. 

1 comment:

  1. Got a great helper there. Glad the berries turned out as delicious as they look.

    ReplyDelete